Sunday, July 23, 2006

FARANG RESTAURANT REVIEW: TRADER VIC'S



Since I moved to Bangkok (one month ago yesterday), the question I get asked most is:

"Have you tried Thai food?"

My answer is "Yes - in Michigan - and I really didn't care for it there so I'm not going to go out of my way to try it here."

I realize that answer is lacking in adventurous spirit, but it's the truth. I don't like ultra-spicy food. I'm sure I will go out and eat some Thai food some time in the next three years, but why rush things? It's not like they only serve Thai food here. They have McDonald's, Burger King, Subway and Kentucky Fried Chicken too (although I'm not going out of my way to frequent those places either).

Like any big city (New York, Chicago, LA, even Detroit), Bangkok has no shortage of great restaurants that serve every style of food imaginable. I've been to a few, but since I didn't think of taking my camera along at the time, I'm not going to review them until I make a second trip.

Last Friday, I got invited to a night on the town by my new friend Greg (my wife is in China, his is in Australia). Greg (who has lived in Bangkok for four years) suggested Trader Vic's (he'd never been there though) and I was only too happy to go since I have an interest in tiki culture, 1950's kitsch and modern-day tiki artists like Shag (www.shag.com).

For those of you who don't know, Trader Vic's was a very popular restaurant chain in the 1950's. Known for a their South Pacific tiki decor (carved totem poles, copies of Gauguin paintings, etc.) they specialize in Polynesian food and potent tropical cocktails (the chain's founder - Vic Bergeron - is credited with inventing the Mai Tai). Today they have 22 restaurants across the globe, but only a few in the U.S. A trip to Trader Vic's has always been one of my own personal meccas.

Located in the Bangkok Marriot on the Chao Phraya River, Trader Vic's is probably the most upscale restaurant I've been to here so far. The interior is definately cool if you like tiki stuff, but the prices were a little on the high side. Thankfully Greg had a Marriott gold card that cut the food bill in half and the bar tab by 15%.



The staff was very friendly and accomodating if a bit slow (but I'm told that this is the Thai way - laid back so you can enjoy the meal and the experience). The food was delicious (I had lobster bisque to start and scallops wrapped in ham for the main course). I did have the misfortune of biting into a dinner roll that had a chili pepper embedded in the center of it that sent me into a 5-minute fit of heaving hiccups.

I couldn't get out of there without having their signature Mai Tai and like all of the others I've had in the past, it was delicious. I also had some kind of concoction that was served in a pineapple (I forget what it was called).





About the only complaint I have with the experience was the dinner music. The band they had was very capable (the singers were quite good), but their tunes were all smooth jazz renditions of songs by the Carpenters, Captain and Tennille and other similar artists. I would have preferred some Don Ho or a band that covered some tunes by exotica masters like Les Baxter, Martin Denny and Arthur Lyman. This is just a personal preference, but to me it would have completed the tiki mood.

All in all, it was a great place for a meal. I plan on going there a few more times while I'm here.



For more information on Trader Vic's visit www.tradervics.com.

No comments: