Monday, September 04, 2006

FARANG RESTAURANT REVIEW: CRÊPES & CO.

The perfect marriage of food and atmosphere, Crêpes & Co. on Soi 12 is already one of my favorite eateries here in Bangkok. Currently celebrating their ten year anniversary, I can easily see them being around for decades.



As their name indicates, this is a restaurant that specializes in crepes - over 50 different savoury crêpes and 40 sweet crêpes for dessert. Many of the main dishes are derived from Mediterranean recipes (Spanish, Greek, etc.), but they do have others with flavors ranging from Thai to Hawaiian. Their menu also features 350 other dishes including pasta, soups, salads and appetizers and there are always different daily specials to tempt the palate.



Crêpes & Co. also has plenty of options for those who like to wash their crêpes down with something besides water. French apple cider (the traditional drink with crêpes) and home made sangria are house specialties. A full bar is fully armed and ready to satisfy the most ardent thirst of cocktail nation. The largest selection of teas in Bangkok, as well various shakes and fruit juices are also available.



Despite the amazing food and drinks, the thing that really makes Crêpes & Co. stand out is the setting. Situated in an old Thai house, upon entering, you immediately feel like you are being welcomed into someone's home. There's an area with toys, games and books for children to play with while their parents eat and the kitchen area is open so you can see the magic that goes into making these wonderful crêpes.





The staff is courteous and friendly and seem to take great delight in refilling your water glass after every sip. Outside is a nice patio for those who prefer to eat in a lush tropical garden.



Another thing that greatly contributes to the atmosphere of this place is the music. A nice selection of bossa nova and lounge tunes are always in constant rotation and I was delighted to hear one of my all time favorite songs ("So Danco Samba" by Wanda De Sah) the last time I was there. The music perfectly complimented the food and the mood and to me that's always a good thing. Sure, I like the Who and Jimi Hendrix, but I really don't need to listen to them at Crêpes & Co.

Many of the selections on the menu at Crêpes & Co. are not available anywhere else in the city, so to me that makes it an essential visit for every Bangkok restaurant connoisseur.



For more information on this fine establishment, please visit www.crepes.co.th

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mat,
I've never been to Crep & Co but after reading your blog, I'll try it....

Anonymous said...

Holy crappe! I think you've found your calling as a restaurant critic! The colourful rhetoric about the savoury flavours had me drooling. I would figure it's a great way to get free chow and take nice kickbacks for favourable reviews! Bon Appetit!

Anonymous said...

So then I probably won't hear Kraftwerk at Crep & Co?