Monday, May 05, 2008

IT'S GETTING BETTER ALL THE TIME...

Last July, I posted about a Thai Beatles tribute band called "The Beaters." Since then, I've seen the band several times and have become friends with the guy who plays "John" (I still don't know his real name though, I just call him John). Well John also plays in another Beatles tribute, this one is called "The Better" (no, not "The Betters," simply "The Better"). I've also seen them a few times, most recently the other day at a fair promoting products that are good for the environment.

I actually like "The Better" a bit better, mainly because their "George" has some kind of midi-hookup on his guitar that allows him to play certain parts for songs like "A Day in the Life," "Penny Lane," and "I Am The Walrus" that sound almost exactly the way they were originally recorded. When you throw in a few other favorites like "Please Please Me," "Yesterday," "Hey Jude," "Octopus's Garden" and "I Want to Hold Your Hand," you have a pretty entertaining show.

The Better play every Friday night at O'Reilley's Irish Pub on Silom Road, so if you're ever in the area, check them out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Matt,
Thanks for the birthday wish. It's been a while since I've been at your blog. I thought I'd stop by and drop a note.
That's interesting. That midi effect on George (The Better) guitar. I think that's very cool actually. This is so much better than having those special instrumentations on a separate track. If you're in the crowd and recognize that there's a backing track. You don't trust anything you're hearing as 'live'. "Play it all live", that's what I always say. In fact, would have an invisible Beatle off stage playing fill in parts. Wood blocks on 'And I love her', Synth on the Please Please me intro and you guessed it, more cowbell on 'You Can't Do That'.

Just wanted to say hey.
-Iadipaolo

Gustavo Mori said...

They also play at the Royal Orchid Sheraton, by the water, Tues-Thurs from 20:30 - midnight