Saturday, September 30, 2006

A MASSAGE PARLOR I WON'T BE VISITING...

Normally, I'm not one to make fun of someone else's name. My middle name is Maurice, and Heaven knows I've endured a lot of teasing about that when I was a kid. Regardless, when I saw this sign, I felt forced to comment on it.



Given the location of this establishment (and a cursory glance at their web site), it can be assumed that Miss Puke's is a place where one can go for a "friendly" massage. I'm not really looking for these kinds of special services, but if I was, the name Puke just doesn't seem sexy enough for me to want to go there.

I'm guessing that this word doesn't have the same meaning in Bangkok as it does in the States. I confirmed through a friend that it doesn't have the same pronunciation - instead you say it "pook."

This place must do enough business to afford such a prime location (in a soi across the street from the ritzy Siam Paragon mall) and have such a huge sign. With that in mind, I wish Miss Puke and her staff nothing but continued success in their endeavors.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matt, We've been very worried about you but we are glad to hear things seem to be okay at the moment. Please be careful and take care of yourselves. We pray for your safety often. We love you all very much and want you to be able to return home safely. Love you, Jill

Anonymous said...

Can ya get me a t-shirt from the Puke place? That would be sweet!

Skeeta