Monday, August 14, 2006

HOW BAZAAR, HOW BAZAAR

One thing that Bangkok is known for is shopping. Since I've been here, I've visited many world-class malls and department stores (Siam Paragon, Central World, Emporium) as well as places (MBK, Fortune Town, Seacon Square) that specialize in discount items like cheap DVDs, mobile phones and clothes.

Another well-known shopping experience here are the outdoor markets or bazaars - the most famous being the Chatuchak Weekend Market (or as the Thais call it Jatuchak). I've been to this place twice, and I always leave a little dazed and confused.



Reportedly, there are between 15,000 - 20,000 stalls in Chatuchak and you can buy everything - home furnishings, dishes, clothes, antiques, paintings, etc. etc. Another big section sells pets and this is supposedly the place to go if you are seeking and exotic animal like an alligator, tiger cub or a gibbon. I have not seen any of these creatures so either they are hidden and you have to know where to go or organizations like the Worldwide Fund For Nature have finally cracked down on this black market. The strangest things I've seen are enchindas, but the cages where they were kept had signs stating "No Photos." (So if you don't know what an enchinda is, please go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echidna). Personally, I don't know why anyone would want one of these things, but to each his own I guess. Normal pets like fish and cute puppies are also available in Chatuchak.



There are a few reasons why I can't get a handle on this place. First of all, I really don't like to shop. When I need something like clothes or shoes, I go to the store, find something I like in my size, pay for it and go home. I generally don't make a big production out of the process. You can't do this at Chatuchak because it's not the place to go if you are looking for something specific. You have to commit a long portion of your day to the experience and mill around the maze of shops hoping to find something that strikes your fancy. We went there last Saturday looking for plants and after a few hours ended up with two tiki mugs for my collection. I was glad to get them for under $1.00 apiece, but we left still needing some plants.

Secondly, Chatuchak opens at 9:00 in the morning. By the time we usually get there, it's about 11:00 and the crowds are in full force. When you throw in the sun beating down, the standard high humidity rate and a concoction of smells (food, body odor, incense, perfume and God knows what else), the whole thing becomes a bit intoxicating and overwhelming. I've met some people who love this place, but I'm still not sold on it. I'm sure I will go back again, but I'm not really anticipating the trip. Still, Chatuchak is supposed to be one of those "must see" places in Bangkok, so it's worth a visit if you're curious.



I found the Suan-Lum Night Bazaar (located near Lumphini Park) to be a more pleasant experience. It is open daily from 6:00 to midnight. There are plenty of shopping stalls here, but not nearly as many as Chatuchak - so it was a lot less crowded. At first glance, the goods seemed to be of a higher quality.



This place offers other things to do as well. In addition to some nice restaurants, there is also a beer garden with a live band and big screen TVs showing soccer. This is a place where beer flows like the nectar of the ancient gods and the waitresses descend on you like a swarm of bees in an attempt to get you a table. The band was average, but it made the atmosphere a little more lively. They played a mixture of Thai and English songs and I was able to pick out "What If God Was One Of Us?" by Joan Osbourne and "My Humps" by the Black Eyed Peas (they played that twice the hour I was listening).



There are plenty of seats in the beer garden which is in direct opposition to the restaurants in Chatuchak (I had to eat a bowl of fried rice there standing up).

Other entertainment options in Suan-Lum are the Joe Louis (not the boxer) Puppet Theatre where one can see the ancient art of Thai puppetry. Because I like cultural things, I really wanted to see this, but it was a little pricey (900 baht - about $22 - $23). I'm sure I will get there at some point. There's also a newly built Ferris wheel that provides a spectacular view of the city (price: 100 baht - $2.50)

We finished the evening with a fantastic foot massage. For 250 baht (around $6) an hour, this is a deal that can't be beat and the perfect end to a weekend of walking around sweaty bazaars.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

are you sure the puppies are for pets and not dinner

Anonymous said...

where's all the KISS merch?

Skeet