Thursday, November 22, 2007

HOW AMERICANS SPEND THANKSGIVING IN BANGKOK

Thanksgiving has always held a special place in my heart and is probably my second favorite holiday after Christmas.

Unfortunately, Thanksgiving is not that big a deal around here. Back home, the whole day revolves around it, with a day off of work , watching a parade on TV in the morning, watching my beloved Detroit Lions lose in the early afternoon, then hanging out with they family and gorging ourselves with comfort food like turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, ham, stuffing, and apple pie until the evening when we have to bundle up and drive home in a food-induced coma.

In Bangkok, it's just another day, with the kids having school and their activities and my wife working, but there are a few restaurants around town (owned by Americans) who offer a Thanksgiving buffet with all of the fixings. When our friend Corey suggested that a bunch of us go to the Great American Rib Company to celebrate this special occasion, it was just what I needed, especially since I was feeling a bit homesick from an email my beloved Aunt Shirley had sent me earlier in the week that read: "There will be 5 empty spots at our dinner table, but we are in hopes that they will one day be filled again!" SOB SOB!

So that's what we did. It was pretty good too. The buffet had all of the standard Thanksgiving favorites, plus ribs and various salads. (Note to Aunt Shirley: the potatoes were decent, but not as lumpy as yours).

I don't know about everyone else, but I made my way through the buffet line four times.

All in all, I think our family has a lot to be thankful for. It's been a good experience over here so far and the past year has been especially fun and exciting. Everyone is happy and healthy. It is all going by so quickly, so it's nice to stop, reflect, and take it all in. I think that's what Max is doing in this picture (on second thought, he's probably just wondering if he could fit more food on that plate).

It was nice to spend the evening with our pals too. I'm thankful for the friendships we've made over here and hope that they continue even after we all go home (or to wherever).

So from our family to yours - Happy Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

dude, where u go?