Saturday, October 07, 2006

HOUSES OF THE HOLY: PART IV



Located on Rama IV Road in the heart of downtown, Wat Hua Lamphong isn't one of those famous wats that you can read about in every guidebook. It isn't the home to any solid gold Buddhas, emerald Buddhas or reclining Buddhas. I think it's just a standard wat where people go to worship. Still, I've passed by it many times so awhile back I finally decided to check it out. When I walked through there, none of the signs were in English, so that's a clear indication that's it not a tourist destination.



One of the interesting things about Wat Hua Lamphong is that a new temple is currently under construction there (or perhaps an old one is under reconstruction). I'm so used to seeing the ornate paint schemes and decorations on these buildings that when I saw one where parts were stark white, the effect was startling. It reminded me of one of those white plaster statues that kids can buy at the mall to paint themselves.



The main structure was nice enough, but pretty standard. It's home to a Buddha image (of course) and from the top you can see the roofs of many of the other structures in the compound, as well as the busy Bangkok streets.







Around back is a spire, but it's nowhere near as impressive as the Gold Mount or the spires on some of the other wats I've visited.



Wat Hua Lamphong is also home to the Ruamkatanyu Foundation (at least that sign was in English). I had no idea what they did, but after a little research I discovered that they are a volunteer rescue organization. That's sounds like a pretty worthwhile group to me.



I really can't recommend Wat Hua Lamphong for any serious sightseeing. It's OK to stop by if you happen to be in the area. Or better yet, you can always go there to pray to Buddha, because after all, that's what wats are for.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Matt, I'm seriously thinking that you should turn "Houses of the holy" into a miniseries. What do you think? I know Bravo would find it quite interesting.